Tuesday, May 24, 2011

just some thoughts

I just wanted to say a few things today, on the ever so controversial topic: religion. Personally, I am an
Agnostic. I think there is something bigger than us out there, I don't know what it is, and I don't think there is any way to find out during the course of this life. I don't claim to know anything that I am not 100% sure of, I don't have malice or hatred or any sort of negative thoughts against people that don't believe what I do, and I don't ever tell anyone what they should believe. When I get into religious discussions, I listen attentively to what the other person has to say, ( i truly enjoy hearing people's theories, beliefs, etc.) and I tell them what I think, I always start of by saying, I believe or I think. I don't say i know or this is how it is. because i really don't, and i'm not sure if any of us do.

 The thing i've never been able to understand is why religious people tell you what to think and think everyone should believe what they do. I think a lot of what religion you decide to be comes from where and how you were raised and you're personality and who you are as a person. I don't understand when people claim to be Christians, the religion based on Jesus Christ, their savior who gave his life for the world, and they are closed minded enough to look down on me because I don't Believe. Who are they to cast out a sinner, wasn't it Jesus himself that walked among whores and criminals. They preach love, but they only show it if you are exactly like them. If you know their doctrines and conversate only with other believers, keep the pure together, try and make the non-believers join you and if they won't, then talk about them behind their backs, give them dirty looks and treat them with that awful passive-aggressive nice-to-your-face and crippling-behind-your-back two-faced way that they do. Now I am not saying religious people are bad, and i'm not singling out Christianity. I just find it ridiculous how the people that claim to know the truth don't even treat other people like humans. Thats why I like my religion. I like not knowing, and not claiming to know. It's life's greatest mystery really, and I think one day after I die i'll find out. I like thinking about all the religions out there as crazy and wild as they may seem and thinking. hm.. that's probable. I think religion can help people and some religious people are truly inspirational and amazing. but it seems like most that i find are close minded judgemental and very one sided individuals. They seem to forget that we are all just people, none of us know all the answers, and we are all different.

 I'm glad that religion works for some people, and i'm glad they have found something that gives their life hope and meaning. Personally, if I were to have a religion I think i'd fall under some branch of a Transcendentalist. In the natural beauty of Mother Earth I feel closer to God than praying or reading some religious texts. I learned about Deism just yesterday and I think it's an interesting idea for a religion too.

 I think we all need to know what works for us, and we all need to find our own personal truths. We all need to work towards some type of eternal progress and we need to try and better ourselves, first as individuals and secondly as a race. We are just people. We are all just humans. We do the best we can. And for all the religions that preach Love and Unity, stop talking about it and try doing it. Try doing something nice for someone, not so you can share your religious message but because you know they need help and you have a means to help them. Try extending your hand not only to the people that are just like you but to the people that are different, the people you don't understand, because maybe they can teach you something. Maybe if you learn something from someone who is different you will realize that your way isn't always right, and that even though we are all different, as people we are also all the same.

2 comments:

  1. "Try extending your hand not only to the people that are just like you but to the people that are different, the people you don't understand"

    I like that, have an open heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "the call has come we are all as one."
    -Excision
    i think now more than ever should be an age of tolerance. we are all just people, and we are all you unique. and if everyone just recognized those two things i think the world would be a different place.

    ReplyDelete